125 Commons Court, Chadds Ford, PA 19317
Call us today
(610) 361-8079
Call us today
(610) 361-8079

Non-Immigrant Visas

[do_widget id=advanced_sidebar_menu-3]

Non-Immigrant visa:

A nonimmigrant visa is the visa issued to a person with a permanent residence outside the U.S. but who wishes to be in the U.S. on a temporary basis (i.e. Tourism, medical treatment, business, temporary work, or study.)

Nonimmigrant visas are issued at United States embassies or consulates, typically in the home country of the visa applicant. Some nonimmigrant visas are limited to a specific number each year. The biggest hurdle that a nonimmigrant visa applicant must overcome is convincing the Consular Officer that they have strong enough ties to their home country that they will leave the United States upon the expiration of their visa, and return home. Nonimmigrant visa applicants must also show economic ability to support themselves while in the U.S., and that they possess the qualifications required for the particular type of visa sought.

To apply for a nonimmigrant visa, the applicant usually must apply with the United States embassy or consulate in their home country. A nonimmigrant visa cannot be applied for once the applicant is in the United States. However, a person with a valid visa who is in the United States may be eligible for a change of status or an extension of status with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

Change of Nonimmigrant Status:

Each nonimmigrant visa is issued for a specific purpose, and allows the visa holder to do things to accomplish that purpose. For example, a student visa allows an international student to study in the United States, but does not permit the student to work here. Sometimes, foreign nationals desire to change the purpose of their visit to the United States, such as a pleasure traveler who decides to attend school here. In order to change the purpose of a trip to the United States, the visa holder must seek a change in immigrant status. This is accomplished by submitting an application to change status with the USCIS.

Please contact the Hassonjee Law Firm to apply for a change of Nonimmigrant status

Extending a Stay in the United States:

When holders of nonimmigrant visas enter the United States, they receive an electronic I-94 card that specifies the deadline date by which they must leave the United States. To extend a stay beyond that date, permission must be obtained from the USCIS prior to the expiration date on the I-94 card. Of course, only people who lawfully entered the United States in the first place are eligible to seek an extended stay.

There are a few exceptions to the requirement that an extension of stay be sought prior to the I-94 expiration date. If the persons requesting an extension can show that the delay was due to extraordinary circumstances beyond their control, that the length of delay was reasonable, that they have not violated any of the conditions of their visa (such as working illegally), that they are still nonimmigrants, and that they are not the subject of deportation or removal proceedings, the USCIS will consider the request

Please contact the Hassonjee Law Firm to apply for an extension of Nonimmigrant status

The Hassonjee Law Firm is dedicated to helping companies and individuals successfully navigate the complex maze of US immigration laws. The Hassonjee Law Firm has numerous domestic and foreign clients including domestic as well as international companies. We also represent non-profit organizations and assist them in corporate formation and getting the requisite tax-exempt status from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).

Read More

Contact Information
  • 125 Commons Court, Chadds Ford, pennsylvania 19317 Map and Driving Directions
  • (610) 361-8079
  • admin@fqhlaw.com
  • www.fqhlaw.com